- The double slit experiment was performed using one slit, having the photon emit through it at one of two possible points in time. This is weird to nth power. The photon is not only occupying a volume of space, it is occupying a volume of time. The 1st photon is interfering with a 2nd photon that crosses through the slit at a separate point in time! An alternate interpretation is that a single photon is emitted from either points in time at once, and that time itself does not collapse into a discreet moment until the photon gives up its energy. Either way you look at it, time itself has a wave like property – it fills a volume of space, and is only measured in discreet time/space locations during interactions.
- A photon not only occupies a volume of space equal to its wave-front, but moves through space exhibiting the characteristics of of a wave – it has crests and troughs of (?positive and negative potential).
- Individual photons are completely polarized. Their polarization state can be elliptical, circular, or linear.
- Parabolic reflectors can be made of a grid mesh of wire. Photons with a frequency wider than the mesh will be either reflected or absorbed.
- Light can be either reflected, refracted, or absorbed. These correspond to mirrors, prisms, and antennas or faraday cages or black objects.
- Light reacts with a surface and reflects depending on the angle of the approach to the surface, the wavelength, and the properties of the surface. There will be a % of light that can be expected to bounce, a percent expected to be absorbed, and a percent expected to be refracted and travel through. I’m suspecting here that the percentages should be able to be calculated based on the size of the “holes” in the material, analogous to the size of the holes in a grid mesh of a parabolic antena reflector, compared to the wavelength of the light.
- All objects behave as light, in that they have a frequency, depending on their speed. So a fast moving human being could theoretically pass through a very tight diffraction grating.
- One big hole in my understanding is what is required to make an object opaque (either absorbing or reflecting, but not refracting). I’m assuming that a two dimentional plane requires a boundary of mesh of atoms that are opaque to the wavelength that has holes between the atoms that are smaller than the wavelength – like a wire mesh antenna reflector. If so then the photon interacts with the full plane bounded by its wavefront all at once, in order to “decide” that it has no probability to pass. Consider the edges of a wire mesh designed to reflect/absorb all radio wavelengths greater than 1 centimeter. Light of a 1 centimeter wavefront width that hits 50 percent of the area of the edge will either be absorbed, or pass behind the grid. The photon must have knowlegde of the potential reactions throughtout its full wave-front all at once to know if the surface is fully opaque. The single photon calculates the probability of its interacting with the edge of wire mesh – 50% probability to pass, 50% to be absorbed. It can not make that calculation without “interaction” with its full wave front at once. The wave front that interacts and is either refracted, bounced, or absorbed, makes that decision based on the full surface of what the wavefront encounters. And the “surface” of the wave front would be defined by the width of its frequency plus an as yet undetermined width of nearby points in time.
The double slit experiment is further proof that the wave-front interacts with full surface – if the photon travels through two pinholes instead of one, it will interfere with itself.
Update: I just woke from some nightmarish dreams. I think they were sparked by the deeply disturbing nature of light. In one image i was in a confined to a small room, listening to an unknown voice that was outside the door. I was told by this unknown force that a test of trust was required. I then learned of a bag covering my head, which some helpful assistants in my room removed. Upon it being removed I saw a dark shrivelled mumy shaped demon, clawing threateningly towards my face. That freaked me out enough to wake up, and wonder why the anxiety. Some force outside my room was demanding that I trust something, something uncertain and possibly not knowable, and until I do, I may see it manifest as a demon.
The anxieties are provoked by the cognitive dissonance invoked by the facts that 1) photons (and by extention electrons and atoms and molecules when they act in quantum ways) exist in a wave front all at once, performing probabilistic calculations while interacting with mater through refractions and bounces throughout this volume of space/time, and then quantizing locally, and 2) that photons perform probabilistic caluclations – their actions are random and unknowable yet scattered through mathematically defined through probabilities and 3) that photons wavefronts entangle with themselves and each other across limitless distances and even through some volume of time. That information is truly spooky. A demon clawing at my face indeed, until I can trust the underlying and unknowable source forever only outside my ability to perceive.
One thing it seems that I was mistaken about in my understanding of the location of the wave-front of a photon; a photon wave-front is not defined by the width of its frequency. Sometimes the direction of a photon is “unknown”, and so it does not have a single direction until it quantises by giving up its quanta of energy. This is one reason why the double slit experiment works; the light source is non-coherent, meaning it is not a laser, and even one photon does not have a single defined direction. The light leaving the source leaves in a scatter of different directions. The better way to visualise this is that the photon leaves as a wave with a spherically expanding wave front.
The Ashfar experiment gives the clearest visualation about what a photon is and does.
If you imagine a photon with a spherically expanding wavefront, whose wave front expands to 10 light years across, you can see that when the wave has been interacting through refractions and reflections throughout its volume, and then collapses only once its energy is absorbed in interaction with an electron. As soon as the electron on one end of the sphere soaks up the energy, 10 light years away the wave front also collapses.
Photons can entangle, and in the same way affect each other 10 light years away. Unfortunately we can not extrace information from the entanglement, due to some limitation about how once a quantum property interacts with an electron, non-local information collapses into local information. (or something like that that I can’t yet visualize).
Update: When you squint at a lightbulb and see lines of light and shadow through your lashes, remember that the shadows in the diffraction patterns were created by photons reacting with that space on your retina. Interference of waves means that the cancelled flat waves exert influence in that space.
Update: This net-cafe computer has only 10 bytes of ram, so it has to make virtual ram from hard drive space, which takes a lot of read-write time. The computer is slower than my brain. Twiddling of fingers, tightening of sphincter, general unease and impatience. Forgetting my point.
Oh ya. You don’t need 180 plus I.Q. and a decade of training in maths to question the implications of double slit experiments. A little focus and a little imagination will push out a new generation of conclusions. Some of those must die, some will reproduce. Focus, and imagination. I’m working with limited hardware here, and my software is not designed for the problem. You don’t need Photoshop 8.0 on a Pentium 4 to work with images – a 386 and Paint.exe can work.
My conclusions were that the “ether” restricts the speed light because “discreet” points in space have an internet connection between them with limited bandwidth. They can communicate non-localised “information” through unlimited distance because they contain more than 4 dimensions: each point holds a heart that has a wireless connection to all other ponts. This dimesion can’t communicate ones and zeros faster than light though – only that a big non-local-wave has decided to crash and burn into an electron. Ones and zeros are Big information that rely on electrons to quantize. Up and down, in and out – electrons react with photons in measurable ways; yes, I love all girls, but I’m either fucking or not fucking – the all pervasive and indeterminate love of the photon can only orgasm into one electron, and that is what we use for “information”. Electrons are the pussies of space, making photons commit, spewing out baby photons. Without electrons there is no discreet shape to space. Space is not continuous, it is made of bubbles that touch each other, and that include wireless connections between each other. The thinking behind this would take some effort to document, but seem to follow from rational step by step logic to me. Interference patterns infer that space interacts with photons, and that photons exert positive and negative wave-like influence upon vacuum. Therefore vacuum can hold charge. The charge is localised. The speed at which the charge travels is fixed, depending upon the quality of the photon (frequency of wave). A wave front will collapse all at once (or at least within a finite volume of time that is smaller than can be communicated through the speed of light), transmitting the requirement to collapse at faster than light speed. Ok, so each point in space limits speed, yet can transmit information faster than light – therefore we need at least one extra dimention, hidden inside the “points” of space.
These aren’t big leaps of insight. The current maths that try to solve the questions posed by the double slit experiments involve extra dimensions being present at scales below the Max Plank smallest measurable scales. This is infered by our measurements, but I’m neither smart enough nor educated enough to attempt to understand those maths. What I can see is that “points” in space interconnect, that 3d is a surface that rests on deeper dimensions, like the top of our curved oceans rest on depths, and that causality in time is not step by step enough to make us at ease.
Update: This, from a comment on newscientist.com: …there is one view of quantum mechanics which has no anomalies: that there is no real particle, only a wave packet. The particle is only an expression to signify the point at which a wave packet interacts with our apparatus. One wave packet can interact only once, giving the impression of one particle.